Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

The U.S. Consulate General in Merida covers the three Mexican states of Yucatan, Quintana Roo and Campeche.  We assume no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department of State or the U.S. Consulate. The names appear in alphabetical order by last name. The information in the list on professional credentials, areas of expertise and language ability are provided directly by the lawyers; the Consulate is not in a position to vouch for such information. You may receive additional information about the individuals on the list by contacting the local bar association, or the local licensing authorities.  The following guidelines may be helpful:

Selecting an Attorney:  It is wise to contact several attorneys and briefly describe the nature of the services you desire.  Before deciding which attorney to employ, ask for a written schedule of fees generally charged for the services you need.  If you don’t speak Spanish, determine whether the attorney is fluent in English.  Do not turn over documents or funds until you are certain that the attorney fully understands your legal needs and is willing to handle your case.  If you are unable or unwilling to hire a private attorney the court will assign you a public defender.

Assistance from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate:  Should your communication with a foreign attorney prove unsatisfactory a U.S. consular officer may communicate with the attorney on your behalf.  Complaints against foreign attorneys can result in the removal of their names from this list.  The United States Consulate cannot serve as your attorney nor dispense legal advice.  We cannot serve as a translator for legal declarations and proceedings.  If you do not understand Spanish, the Mexican authorities are required to provide you an official translator.  Or, you may wish to have available the services of your attorney, a family member, or friend to translate for you.

Coordination with Counsel in the United States:  American attorneys may not be in a position to represent your interests abroad, particularly because they will not be permitted to participate in foreign court proceedings under the laws of the foreign country.  American attorneys experienced in international procedure may be helpful in explaining the complex international issues involved in your case and some may have associates or partners abroad to whom they can refer you.

Dealing with your foreign attorney:  1) Find out the attorney’s qualifications and experience; 2) Inquire about how the attorney plans to represent you.  Ask specific questions and expect the attorney to explain the legal process in the country concerned, as well as the legal activities planned on your behalf, in language that you can understand.  Have your attorney analyze your case, giving you the positive and negative aspects and probable outcome.  Be honest with your attorney.  Tell the attorney every relevant fact in order to get the best representation of your interests.  Do not fail to ask how much time the attorney anticipates the case may take to complete; 3) Find out what fees the country charges and what fees are expected.  Some attorneys expect payment in advance; some demand payment after each action taken, refusing to proceed until they are paid.  Others may take the case on a percentage basis, collecting a pre-arranged percentage of the monies awarded by a foreign court; 4) Ask that your attorney keep you advised of the progress your case according to a pre-established schedule.  Remember your responsibility to keep your attorney informed of any new developments in your case.  Request copies of all letters and documents prepared on your behalf; 5) Do not expect your attorney to give a simple answer to a complex legal problem.  Be sure you understand the technical language contained in any contract or other legal document prepared by your attorney.

Complaints against foreign attorneys:  If the service of your foreign attorney proves unsatisfactory, in addition to notifying us you may address your complaints to the local foreign bar association.


YUCATAN: (includes cities of Merida and Valladolid): Comisión De Derechos Humanos del Estado de Yucatán (CODHEY), Calle 20 No. 391-A x 31-D y 31-F, Col. Nueva Alemán, C.P. 97146, Mérida, Yucatán.  Phone: (999) 927-8596, (999) 927-9275, (999) 927-2201, and toll free at 01-800-226-3439 Fore more information visit the Comisión de Derechos Humanos del Estado de Yucatán website,

QUINTANA ROO: (includes cities of Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, and Chetumal): Comisión de Derechos Humanos del Estado de Quintana Roo, Adolfo López Mateos No. 424, esq. Nápoles, Col Campestre, C.P. 77030, Chetumal, Quintana Roo, Phone: (983) 832-7090, fax ext. 1106, For more information please visit the Comisión de Derechos Humanos del Estado de Quintana Roo website,

CAMPECHECampeche office - Prolongación 59 No. 6 entre Av. Ruiz Cortines y Av. 16 de Septiembre, Centro, C.P. 24000, Campeche, Campeche.  Phone/fax: (981) 811-4563, 811-4571 and 816-08-97, toll free 01-800-002-3432.  Ciudad del Carmen office - Calle 37 No. 93b esquina con 36, Colonia Tecolutla, C.P. 24100, Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche. Phone: (938) 381-4786, toll free 01-800-002-3432. For more information please visit the Comisión de Derechos Humanos del Estado de Campeche website, email:


For the numbers listed below, when dialing from the United States you must dial 011-52 first.  For example, to dial the first phone number on the list below you would dial 011-52-999-920-1133.  To dial Mexican cell phone numbers from the United States, first try 011-521, followed by the number.  For example, to dial the first mobile phone below 011-521-999-947-1727.  If that does not work, try 011-52 and the number (some cell phones in Mexico do not require the “1” after the 52).

List of Attorneys in Yucatan (Includes Merida and Valladolid)

List of Attorneys in Quintana Roo (Includes Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and Chetumal)

List of Attorneys in Campeche (Ciudad del Carmen)